Location and Directions
Our Permanent Home
In December 2004, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Ailey II, and The Ailey School moved to their permanent home at the Joan Weill Center for Dance, located at 405 West 55th Street (at 9th Avenue) in Manhattan.
The 77,000 square foot structure houses 12 climate-controlled studios equipped with sprung floors, pianos, sound
systems and state-of-the-art acoustics; the fully-equipped, 294-seat Ailey Citigroup Theater; physical therapy
facilities; the Ailey Boutique; the library; student and faculty lounges; and administrative offices for the entire
Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation, Inc. organization.
Located in New York City's Theater District, the Ailey Studios are easily accessible by public transportation.
We are located on the northwest corner of 55th Street and 9th Avenue.
- 1, A, B, C or D trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- N, R, Q or W trains to the 57th Street-7th Avenue station.
- C or E trains to the 50th Street station (at 8th Avenue).
- M57 bus crosstown to 9th Avenue.
- M11 bus downtown to 55th Street and 9th Avenue.
By Commuter Train
- Long Island Rail Road - transfer to the uptown 1, A, or C trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- New Jersey Transit - transfer to the uptown A or C trains to the 59th Street/Columbus Circle station.
- Metro North - take the Shuttle or 7 train from Grand Central to Times Square, then transfer to the uptown A or C
- trains to the 59th Street/ Columbus Circle station.
Ailey does not have a dedicated parking garage. However, the area does support numerous options, including:
- Rapid Park: 411 West 55th Street (right next door to Ailey on same side of street)
- Central Parking System: 345 West 58th Street (between 8th and 9th Aves)
- 330 West Fifty Six Corporation: 330 West 56th Street (between 8th and 9th Aves)
- Imperial Parking: 300 West 55th St (at 8th Ave)
- Icon Parking Systems: 815 10th Ave (at 54th St.)