Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Applicants to the Certificate and Independent Study Programs with demonstrated financial need may apply for federal financial aid to help students afford the costs of tuition, fees, and living expenses.

Students in the Ailey/Fordham BFA Program must contact the Fordham University Financial Aid Office for instructions on how to apply for financial aid or call 212-636-6700.

Federal Financial aid is not available for students in the Junior Division Pre-Professional Program.  Junior Division students may audition for the Pre-Professional Scholarship Program for merit-based financial assistance.

When should I apply?

FAFSAs that are processed by the Central Processing Service must be received by The Ailey School no later than June 1. Early applications are strongly advised and students may begin the application process prior to being accepted to The Ailey School.

Students must fill out a FAFSA before these deadlines so that a valid student aid report (ISIR) is delivered to The Ailey School in time to defer the student’s tuition and fee payments, and to receive anticipated refunds for living expenses at the earliest time possible. Although ISIRs that arrive after June 1st will be processed, students who fail to meet the deadline should expect to pay tuition and fees out of pocket to The Ailey School by the payment deadlines. Students will be reimbursed only after their financial aid awards can be disbursed.

How do I Apply?

New incoming students, transfer students, and continuing students must follow the instructions below for every semester they are enrolled.

  1. Obtain a U.S. Department of Education Personal Identification Number (PIN) at before beginning the FAFSA.  If an applicant must report parental information, a parent must also sign the application electronically and must apply for his/her own PIN.
  2. Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  3. Indicate The Ailey School code (015038) in Step Six of the FAFSA and make sure to record your confirmation number for future reference.  The Central Processing Service (CPS) will send the processed application results to The Ailey School.
  4.  Sign the FAFSA electronically with your Federal PIN.  You may also use your PIN to make corrections or edits, and to review your online loan and grant history on the National Student Loan Data System.

Who is eligible to apply?

Newly accepted and transfer students to the Certificate Program and Independent Study Program who demonstrate financial need may apply.

Federal financial aid is not available for students enrolled in the Scholarship Program.  Merit-based Tuition Remission Grants are awarded by audition only.

Federal financial aid is not available for the Summer Intensive Program, but students may audition for merit-based scholarships during the summer term.

In order to be eligible to apply for federal financial aid, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a U.S. citizen, national or permanent resident alien (Green Card holder)
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment, full-time during the academic year
  • Make satisfactory academic progress each semester you are enrolled
  • Not be in default on a loan, owe a repayment on a previous financial aid award received at The Ailey School or any other institution, and/or not have any outstanding tuition or fees due from a prior enrollment period at The Ailey School

What type of federal financial aid programs are available?

  • The School's Ailey Tuition Remittance Grant (ATR) Program
  • Federal Pell Grant Program
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) Program
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program
  • Federal Direct Student Loan Programs (Direct Loan)

For a description of these programs, please visit

When will I receive my aid?

Financial aid disbursements and/or refunds cannot be issued until a student is fully registered and enrolled in classes. By Federal requirement, all aid that is disbursed must be applied to a student’s account including those that are already paid in full, before a refund can be issued. The amount of aid released that exceeds an account balance is refunded to the student for living expenses. Students should be aware that it could take several weeks from the time aid is applied to an account before a refund can be issued.

Applicants may email The Ailey School Financial Aid Office or call 212-405-9135.