Ailey/Fordham B.F.A. Admissions
Please read the following information carefully as our application procedure has changed.
All applicants for the Ailey/Fordham BFA program must submit both The Ailey School Dance Application and the Fordham University Common Application to be considered for admission.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: Two applications – One Deadline: November 8, 2012
Both The Ailey School Dance Application and the Fordham University Common application must be submitted by November 1, 2012 for Fall 2013 admission.
The BFA Dance Application requests detailed information about the applicant’s dance training, in addition to two photographs and an essay about the applicant’s professional goals.
This application must be printed and mailed directly to The Ailey School no later than November 8. All Dance Applications should be addressed to: The Ailey School, Attn: BFA Admissions, 405 West 55th Street, NY, NY 10019
Fordham University Common Application
|The Fordham University Common Application is the undergraduate academic application for Fordham College at Lincoln Center. This application requests information about the applicant's academic background and requires an essay, the submission of SAT or ACT test scores, transcripts and a recommendation from a school counselor. BFA Applicants must submit the Common Application online no later than November 8. |
Details on the academic application
Application Timeline for Fall 2014 Admission
- Summer 2013 – Request Fordham University and The Ailey School applications
- Fall 2013 – Make sure all required tests for entrance to Fordham have been completed
- November 1, 2013 – The Ailey School BFA Dance Application Deadline
- November 1, 2013 – Fordham University BFA Academic Common Application Deadline
- December 2013 – February 2014 – Auditions for the Ailey/Fordham BFA Program – audition invitation status determined through Dance Application
- March – April 2014 – Ailey/Fordham admission decisions mailed by Fordham University
- May 1, 2014 – Deposits due to Fordham University
Attending an Audition
Auditions are granted to select applicants based on the merit of the submitted Dance Application. Auditions for prospective freshman will take place between December and February during our national audition tour. Auditions for prospective transfer students will be held in May at The Ailey School in New York City. All applicants will receive notification of their audition status after submitting the Dance Application.
Please note that BFA audition details will not be published. Though audition dates are listed on the Dance Application, only invited applicants will receive additional details about audition times and locations. All auditioning students will be asked to submit a $35 audition fee.
The full-day audition consist of the following: ballet class (one hour); modern class (half hour); two to three minute solo in modern, ballet or jazz technique using standard or original repertory; and a personal interview.
Ailey/Fordham students are expected to participate fully in all aspects of the program and accomplish the rigorous dance and academic requirements. College students who wish to transfer into the Ailey/Fordham program are expected the meet the criteria necessary for advanced standing at both The Ailey School and Fordham University. Transfer students are required to complete a minimum of three years within the program and are only eligible to begin enrollment in the fall term.
All transfer applicants must submit both the Dance Application and Common Application to be considered for admission.
April 1 – Deadline to for transfer students submit the Dance Application to The Ailey School
Select students will be invited to audition based on the merit of their submitted Dance Application. Invited applicants will be asked to attend a special audition for transfer students to be held in May at The Ailey School in New York City.
Download the Fall 2013 Dance Application
June 1- Deadline to submit the academic Common Application for Fordham University
The transfer application for Fordham University requires complete high school transcripts, official college or university transcripts, standardized test scores (SAT or ACT), a personal statement and a letter of good standing from your current Dean or Registrar.
Access the Fall 2013 Fordham University Common Application
In addition to completing both Dance Application and the Common Application, international students who are non-native English speakers will need competitive test scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL.)
Visit Fordham University for more information
As a courtesy to students who reside outside of the United States, The Ailey School accepts DVD recordings in lieu of attending a live audition. DVD’s should be mailed to The Ailey School and should accompany the Dance Application.
- Submit both dance and academic applications and a DVD in lieu of attending an audition.
- Submit Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores directly to Fordham University. Contact Fordham for exact details.
- Obtain an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for F-1 Non-Immigrant Student Status. Contact the Fordham University International Student Advisor for instructions.
DVD Guidelines for International Students
- DVD be compatible with the viewing system in the United States
- Each segment should not be more than three (3) minutes
- Candidates should be attired according to The Ailey School Dress Code
|Segment 1: Ballet||Center floor grand adagio; combination through space; petit allegro and grand allegro|
|Segment 2: Modern||Adagio; allegro; floor work and spatial work|
|Segment 3: Solo||Standard or original repertory using modern, ballet, or jazz technique|